After you have defined and prioritized your key problem areas using Opportunities, it’s time to come up with Solutions to those problems.
What are Solutions?
Solutions help to capture ideas or concepts to improve an experience. Furthermore, they can be used to map existing features, content, processes, experiments, and more to your journeys. Every solution you create is saved in a Solution repository, and can be linked to other journeys by you or your colleagues. Solutions often address the key problems that are identified and prioritized using opportunities.
Co-founder Martin Palamarz gives you a quick run-down of why the triple diamond is essential in scaling service design for your organization.
Common use cases for Solutions
Mapping Solutions in TheyDo helps you to do several things:
- Create an inspiring idea inventory: Solutions help you to capture all ideas for improvement in one place. Because solutions are saved in a shared Solution repository and can be linked to other journeys, a Solution you create can inspire others and the other way around.
- Prioritize the best Solutions: Solutions can be prioritized based on desirability, viability, and feasibility. Since they are linked to your journeys and opportunities, this helps explain where and how they will generate impact. The more journey or opportunities a solution is linked to, the more relevant it is.
- Divide ownership and track progress. Solutions can be assigned owners and statuses. This helps you keep an overview of who’s working on what, and how far items have come. Integration with Jira and Azure Devops make it possible to sync this status to your backlog as well. This helps you to track what’s being worked on from within the context of your journeys.
- Track what you already do, and create service blueprints: Solutions can be used to map existing features, content, playbooks, experiments, or supporting processes, and link them to your journey steps. This makes them a great tool to map how these elements enable existing or future journeys, for example in service blueprints. Solutions can be re-used across journeys, so mapping them in TheyDo helps to build an understanding of where they play a role across your customer experience.
- Track and validate your backlog: Integration with Jira and Azure Devops even allows you to re-connect your existing backlog items back to your journeys. This helps product teams to better understand where they will have an impact, and can help to validate if your backlog addresses the right problems for your customers.
Solutions in the Journey Management workflow
Solutions play a role in the solution discovery stage of the Triple Diamond workflow. This stage comes after the problem discovery phase, where you identify and prioritize the key problems to solve for your customers. After prioritizing your best solution concepts and ideas, you can push the solutions with the highest potential to your backlog using our Jira or Azure Devops integration.
TheyDo enables you to manage the entire innovation process around journeys. Basically, we help you tie Journeys, Opportunities and Solutions together to create a unified overview of the entire product and service architecture.
Ready to get started?
To get started with solutions, move on to our guide on creating solutions.