NN/g podcast: Customer Journey Management
As the number of journeys within an organization begins to grow, they become increasingly difficult for teams to manage. What’s the key to making sense of many journeys? Jochem joins up with Kim Salazar, Senior UX specialist at NN/g, to discuss how to do this in practice.
Customer Journey Management
Journey Management is a management philosophy based on putting customer journeys at the center of the customer experience and organizing around them. While not doing it well can result in further disjointed experiences, companies that nail this way of working can achieve goals and benchmarks that are tangible and measurable. What hinders teams from becoming journey-centric and how can teams be deliberate about Journey Management work?
The biggest hurdles
- Starting too big: there’s generally a sense of overwhelm and it’s not feasible to do them all.
- Missing the big picture: not looking at the journeys as puzzle pieces in the context of a larger framework.
- Culture: being product-focused is ingrained in people’s work, and silos abound.
- Start small: invest in first understanding every step of a few big key journeys. Sometimes even picking these journeys is difficult, but it’s the only way to make it manageable.
- Understand how people work: Get insight into exactly how your teams operate to deliver the customer experience. Who needs to be part of this new way of working and how can you help them adopt it so everyone is working towards the same journey-centric goal?
- Find your allies: Who is compelled to help? Invest in understanding the appetite that leadership has in restructuring teams to work around journeys.
Don’t fight the momentum
When it comes to Journey Management, some organizations are more mature than others. What brings them all together is a journey-centric mindset, being open-minded, and not getting stuck in old ways of working. As Kim Salazar puts it, “Meet the landscape where it’s going and go with it rather than fighting that momentum”.
Learn how to link Insights, like observations and quotes, directly to your Personas, Opportunities, and Solutions.Read story
We kicked off our three-part webinar series on standardizing Journey Management with an interview with all-star Kim Salazar, Journey Management trainer and expert from the Nielsen Norman Group.Read story